is situated at a bend of the mighty River Tay (the UK's largest) and 5km
down stream from Loch Tay. There is a fine selection of local shops and
restaurants around the main square.
At nearby Weem is historic Castle Menzies
which dates from 1571.
Between the Jacobite wars of 1715 &
1745 the Military Roads of General Wade reached the area. In 1733 a bridge
designed and built by William Adam was opened to carry the road across the
Tay. Aberfeldy's first Post Office opened in 1787. Around this time there
was a local cotton weaving industry. In 1865 the railway arrived as a branch
line from Ballinluig to the west. Shortly afterwards a gas works was set
up supplying coal gas for lighting to the town.
Tourists can visit Aberfeldy Water
Mill which produces stone ground oatmeal or Dewar's World of Whisky at Aberfeldy
Distillery (built in 1896).
There are ample opportunities for walking
around the area with the Falls of Moness and the Birks of Aberfeldy (made
famous by Robert Burns) perhaps the best know.
Golf is available at a number or local
golf courses and the fishing opportunities of Perthshire are world renowned.
Loch Tay offers watersports and the
Crannog Centre - a reconstruction of an Iron Age (2500 year old) dwelling
built on timber stilts on the Loch.