Callander lies just south of Highland
Perthshire by the River Teith and is gateway to Balquhidder and Rob Roy country.
It has developed into a tourism centre.
In the 1730s the town was initially
created by the Duke of Perth. In 1743 the military road from Stirling arrived
aiding expansion. The town was expanded further by the Commissioners who
were appointed after the failed 1745 Jacobite rebellion to administer the
forfeited estates of the Drummonds. The
main street and square feature many substantial properties.
In 1764 a bridge was built over the
Teith which stood until 1907 but with coming of motorised transport a new
bridge was considered necessary. By the late 18thC there was a thriving weaving
Callander was a Victorian spa town
which became popular due to the proximity of The Trossach's and Sir Walter
Scott's works including Lady of the Lake. In 1858 the railway arrived,
initially as a branch line from Dunblane but later as the through line to
Crianlarich and Oban. Town gas supplies began in 1908.
Further notoriety was achieved in the
1960s and 70s as the town featured in the long running UK TV series Dr
Finlay's Casebook as the fictional Tannochbrae.
With the local government reorganisation
of Scotland in 1975 the town did not remain with the majority of Perthshire,
which was henceforth administered as Perth & Kinross, but was transfered
to Stirling District.
The visitor centre contains a presentation
on Rob Roy MacGregor in addition to local tourist information. Just north
of Callander is Kilmahog with traditional produce retail outlets.