Built in the late 16thC and the seat
of the chiefs of the Clan Menzies.
Menzies castle was occupied by Cromwell's
General Monck in the 1650s and by the Jacobites in 1715.
Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed here in
1746 but in revenge the family were thrown out and the castle used by Hanoverian
Much of the present castle dates from
around 1840 when extended during the Victorian era.
During WWII it was used by the Polish
Now a clan centre for the Clan Menzies
Society who acquired the castle in 1957.