Situated just east of
The present castle at Methven, built
by the Duke of Lennox, dates from the mid 17thC and is one of the last
traditional tower house style castles to be built in Scotland.
The lands were originally held by the
Mowbrays from the 11thC. They passed to the Earls of Atholl but became forfeit
to the King in 1427.
Margaret Tudor, sister of Henry VIII
of England, lived in Methven Castle from 1526-41. Margaret married her 3rd
husband Henry Stewart (later Lord Methven) in 1526.
The Smythes of Braco held the lands
and castle from 1664 until 1923.
The castle has been recently restored.