|Comrie is in the heart of the scenic
West Strathearn area of Perthshire. Situated at the meeting of Glens Lednock
and Artney with the Scottish Highlands rising to the north. The village has
a variety of interesting shops and businesses along it's tidy main
The Lednock leads up to the Deil's
Cauldron waterfall and above this the village is overlooked by a hilltop
granite obelisk commemorating Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811).
The Romans call the village
Victoria, then the Picts called it Aberlednock. Comrie
itself is a Gaelic name given by the Scots who invaded in the 7-8thC.
Comrie Community Centre
of Scots often hunted with Darnley around 1565 in the Royal forests in
Glen Artney, south of Comrie. This later inspired Sir Walter Scott to use
Glen Artney in The Lady of the Lake.
By the end of the 18thC roads passed
through the area and the River Earn had been bridged. The spinning of linen
yarn had become the local industry.
The first post office opened in Comrie
in 1807. In 1893 the railway arrived as a branch line from Crieff. By 1904
the line had been extended along Loch Earn to join with the Oban line at
Scene of many minor earthquakes in
the past, Comrie lies on the Highland Boundary Fault and has earned the nickname
the Shakin' Toon. Earthquake House is one of the oldest permanent
Nearby is Drummond Trout Farm offering
both great trout fishing and an entertaining day out for the whole