situated near the head of Loch Tay over which rises Perthshire's highest
mountain, Ben Lawers (1214m). The village runs from the Falls of Dochart
down towards the Loch. The Falls are crossed by a narrow multi-arched stone
bridge which carries the main road from the east into Killin.
Near the Falls stand the eight healing
stones of 8thC St Fillan. Each stone represents a part of the body which
it is supposed to heal.
MacNab once held this area and were long associated with Killin. Their
ancient burial ground is on the island Inchbuie in the River Dochart just
below the Falls and can be viewed from the bridge. Kennell House was their
seat. A well preserved prehistoric standing stone circle can seen there.
Near the village is the ruins of the
Campbell stronghold of Finlarig Castle.
Legend has it that a pit there was where nobles were executed; commoners
were hanged on a nearby oak tree.
Campbells of Glenorchy grew in power and
became the Breadalbane family and eventually they took over Kennell House.
Many MacNabs emigrated under the pressure of the growing Breadalbanes.
Killin became a burgh of barony under
the 1st Earl of Breadalbane in 1694. By the end of the 18thC there was a
local linen industry. Flax was grown locally and spun in small mills and
woven into linen by home based weavers.
By the 1870s the Callander to Oban
railway lay to the west and the local population, backed by Lord Breadalbane,
opened their own railway in 1886 which ran from the main line at Killin Junction
down the glen to a pier on Loch Tay to connect with steamers. The railway
finally closed in 1965.
The area offers a variety of pursuits
for the tourist: walking on Ben Lawers, fishing for trout or salmon and
watersports associated with Loch Tay itself.