village of Muthill spills down a north facing slope and looks across the
flat valley of the River Earn, Strathearn, to
Much of village surrounds an ancient
triangular village green. On the site of present day Muthill, a house of
the "servants of God" is mentioned in the 9thC. This Culdee community existed
here until into the 12thC.
The earliest part of the pre-Reformation
Church is the 21m high bell tower which dates to around 1140. This was originally
a free standing structure around which a later church was built. However,
the foundations may be as old as 9thC and associated with the Culdees.
3 kms north of Muthill,
Drummond Castle was founded in 1491 by
Sir John Drummond. The castle is famous for with it's wonderfully laid out
formal Italianate gardens.
The village was burned, as were others
in Strathearn, by Highlanders retreating after the Battle of Sheriffmuir
in 1716 and was rebuilt shortly afterwards. Muthill has an excellent folk
museum housed in an 1760 Georgian cottage near the old church.